March 2, 2008

Linkroll Examanation: Exploring the Internet's Film Sites

This week I explored the blogosphere to try to find some of the most interesting websites I could. While conducting this search I started by looking at many familiar favorites and I ended up discovering some sites I never knew existed. In an attempt for this blog to be a resource I have included these sites in my linkroll; in deciding the sites that should be included I applied the Webby criteria in both my decisions of a sites inclusion as well as my analysis of that sites strengths or weaknesses. When I began my search of what sites to include I started in fairly common, comfortable territory, as a subscriber to The Village Voice (in print) I have always found their film section to be brilliant; Village Voice film is a very strong site overall, the content is strong and the site is easy to navigate and wonderfully designed. The biggest weakness I found on Village Voice Film is in it's functionality, the site is very functional but due to The Village Voice's strong regional dedication someone not from New York might find the site a bit impractical. This drawback on Village Voice Film is what inspired me to find my next two sites, Los Angeles Times Entertainment and New York Times Movies. Los Angeles Times Entertainment is a sophisticated site which allows a visitor to receive film related headlines in an eye-catching manner, this strength is also the sites greatest weakness, because of the sites emphasis on the headline-style layout many of the most interesting stories are pushed toward the bottom of the site. The New York Times Movies page has much the same problem having a daunting number of links and an emphasis on visitor convenience with checking showtimes this page's great strength is in its search tool which allows a user to search the entire site or just the movie section. Premiere's site has an emphasis on visitor appeal which gives the impression of it being watered down, it is easy to navigate and highly interactive but the articles are given a backseat to the glitz and glamor. The critics of Premiere's site made me consider critics in general, and it is that that led me to Roger Ebert's site. This site has it's emphasis on film reviews and the content is rather strong; the visual design of this site is lacking, the site is sloppily and busily designed which makes the experience overall less than pleasant (but the reviews make the site tolerable to endure). A review on Roger Ebert's site (in this case Chicago 10) made me think about the Sundance Film Festival (debatably America's foremost festival), and when I connected to their site I found it to be visually arresting; Sundance Film Festival has some of the strongest visual design I have seen from a site. Their content is strong, the structure and navigation are also strong, the only weak point I found was with the site's functionality, it took quite a while to load. Internationally the Cannes Film Festival is one of the most renowned in the world, their site exhibits their prestige. The site is very sophisticated in its design, it is functional and has informative, academic content for any film lover. Cannes Film Festival is one of the strongest sites that I found. While on the Cannes Film Festival site I became inspired to explore the site of DVD publishing company the Criterion Collection. Their site has a strong visual design with an emphasis on the films themselves, not the DVDs, and the site has many wonderful links to read about the DVDs as well as to buy them. The sites overall experience is not bad, however it in many ways leaves a visitor wanting more; in many ways the site is just a store for the DVDs which is ultimately unrewarding. This problem occurs too in the Independent Film Channel - Film site. The site tries so hard to be edgy and modern that they collapse under their own weight and a visitor (or at least I) is left pondering why they came to the site in the first place; the site is a good resource if a visitor is willing to brave the abrasive visual design and get to the quality content. The final site I visited was the American Film Institute, this site has strong functionality and interactivity, the content itself, however, is lacking being mainly comprised of "best of" lists and up-coming events. In exploring the blogosphere this week I discovered just how vast the world of film can be, all of these websites are valuable resources in their own respect and I am happy to have spent the time to visit them.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.